Theme 1: October to February
Within this theme, the main focus is on life in a Chinese-speaking country. During this theme, pupils will discuss stereotypes and British people’s perceptions of life in the Chinese-speaking world. At the end of this theme, pupils are able to use their knowledge of the Chinese language to:
- Describe what they and other people look like
- Describe their and other people’s personalities
- Say what they and others are wearing
- Talk about where people live
- Identify key cities and landmarks in Chinese-speaking countries
At the end of Theme 1, pupils work with others in their class to carry out a research project. For this project, pupils are required to use various types of media and resources to find information about how Chinese New Year is celebrated in a Chinese-speaking country. They are then required to put together a presentation describing how Christmas in Britain compares to Chinese New Year in the country they have chosen to research.